Dimdim is an open source alternative to Webex or Microsoft’s live Meeting, that enables you to collaborate online with friends,colleagues,customers or partners in real time.Dimdim is the world’s free web meeting that lets you share your desktop, show slides, collaborate, chat, talk and broadcast via webcam with no software downloads.
Dimdim 4.0 and its features:
Dimdim 4.0 is now available for download as version 4.0 and this version had built in, over 60 new customer-requested features including:
- Recording: You can now record your meetings and share playback URLs or embed the recording directly onto your own website just like YouTube videos.
- Multiple Presenters: With a single click you can allow any attendee to share their presentation, whiteboard, webcam – even their desktop.
- Mac Desktop Sharing: Mac users can share their desktop with anyone using just a browser.
- Free Teleconferencing: While we’ve improved our free VoIP microphone sharing everyone now gets their own unlimited free conference call account.
- Private Meetings: Simply assign a meeting key and only those who know both your meeting room name and your meeting key will be able to join.
- No Install: Now you don’t need to install anything to join or even host a meeting. You’ll only need to install our screencasting plug-in if you choose to share your desktop.
Dimdim and principles behind it:
Dimdim is an Open-Source web meeting that provides the benefits of established open-source components and products to its users.It comes as no surprise that ‘Powerful simplicity’ is its mantra.
“Dimdim” seem to be based on the following principles:
- “Just works” usability
- Open and Integrated
- Disruptive pricing for business quality service
Enjoy collaboration with rich media including audio, video, text (chat messages), desktop sharing, and in the process, discover a free virtual world. The open source community edition can be downloaded from sourceforge.net.DimDim also has an hosted enterprise edition and onsite enterprise edition.
Dimdim needs plug-in only for live screencasting:
The meeting host needs a tiny (1.8MB) plug-in only if you intend to do live screencasting. If you are just doing video, audio, PPT, PDF, chat, etc. sharing you DO NOT need any plug-in, even for meeting host. If you look at the Features tab in the “Host a meeting” dialog box, you can see that you can turn off features. Turn off screencast and you won’t need to download anything.
Dimdim’s open source benefits:
Dimdim is licensed under GPL V 3.0 and does not require any attribution for any developer/developer community to extend this wonderful software.
Whatever benefits that can be achieved with the commercial versions like
- remote project kick offs,
- brainstorming ideas,
- making presentations,
- collaborate on whiteboards and
- negotiate deals with customers
can very be well achieved with DimDim at zero cost and no hassle of travel.
dimdim’s hosted service:
Dimdim can either be installed on your own servers or it can be used as a hosted service.Dimdim’s hosted service allows anybody to share their desktop, show slides, as well as talk, listen, chat, and broadcast via webcam.Like its commercial counterparts, Dimdim is a browser based web meeting solution that needs no software installation on your computers.
Free download Open Source Community Edition:
The Open Source Community Edition is also available as a v3.5 beta and is ready for immediate download. There is also a Moodle integration pack available for download.
Dimdim enterprise edition:
Dimdim also has an enterprise edition and is much much cheaper than Webex..
Meet the world by signing up for dimdim.
People who read this also viewed these helpful relevant videos
Current average ratings.