Excel 2007 offers better file protection options. You can easily encrypt and password protect files created using Microsoft office Excel 2007.
Earlier we covered a tool “My folder” to lock folders and files in windows vista. We also covered a tutorial on how to password protect folders, files and zip files in windows vista.This tutorial is on how to encrypt and password protect Excel 2007 files.
How to password protect files in Excel 2007?
- Open the Excel 2007 file that you intend to encrypt, password protect and lock
- Click the office Orb on the top left
- Select Prepare >> Encrypt document
- An Encrypt document dialog box pops up with an option for you to set password
- Enter a strong password and click “OK”
- A “confirm password” dialog box pops up with an option for you to re-enter the password and confirm it.
- If you are done with your work on the Excel 2007 file, save it to any folder in your computer.
- Another microsoft excel dialog box pops up with the message “This document is both encrypted and password protected. The office Open XML Formats available in the 2007 release provide stronger encryption.Do you want to increase the security of this document by converting to an Office open XML format ?”
- If you want more stronger security, click Yes else click No in the above dialog box
- Finally, close the Excel 2007 file.
That is all. When you try opening the encrypted and password protected excel 2007 document, you will be asked to enter the password. However, if your forget or loose the password, it cannot be recovered easily. you may have to make use of a password recovery software to recover the password.Hence it is advisable to maintain a list of passwords and their corresponding document names at a safe place.