.NET developers can rejoice as they can now download .NET framework 4, unveiled by Microsoft in Bangalore-India recently. The latest and the best dotnet framework from microsoft is now out of beta and Microsoft application developers can now make use of the rich new features offered by .NET (dotnet) framework 4!
.NET Framework is the core framework behind all modern windows based applications and it is Microsoft’s comprehensive and consistent programming model for building applications. Importantly, .NET framework 4 can work side by side with older Framework versions and all windows applications based on earlier versions of the .NET Framework will continue to run on the targeted version by default. This is significant as users need not worry that upgrading the .NET framework installed on their PC to .NET framework 4 will interfere with the applications built on top of the earlier frameworks.
.NET Framework 4 Features and Improvements
Microsoft .NET framework 4 offers the following new features and improvements.As expected, Microsoft has focused on performance improvements in addition to other significant improvements in dotnet framework 4.
Credits: Poster by Brad Abrams which you can download here
- Improvements in Common Language Run-time (CLR) and Base Class Library (BCL) including the following.
- Performance improvement including better multi-core support, background garbage collection, and profiler attach on server.
- New memory mapped file and numeric types.
- Easier debugging including dump debugging, Watson mini dumps, mixed mode debugging for 64 bit and code contracts.
- Innovations in the Visual Basic and C# languages, for example statement lambdas, implicit line continuations, dynamic dispatch, and named/optional parameters.
- Improvements in Data Access and Modeling. The Entity Framework within Microsoft .NET framework 4 will enable developers to program against relational databases using .NET objects and Language Integrated Query (LINQ). It has many new features, including persistence ignorance and POCO support, foreign key associations, lazy loading, test-driven development support, functions in the model, and new LINQ operators.
WCF Data Services component of the .NET Framework will enable developers to create REST-based services and applications that use the Open Data Protocol (OData) to expose and consume data over the Web. Its built-in integration with Microsoft Office 2010 will now make it possible to expose Microsoft Office SharePoint Server data as an OData feed and access that data feed by using the WCF Data Services client library
- significant enhancements to ASP.NET that provides more control over HTML, element IDs and custom CSS that make it much easier to create standards-compliant and SEO-friendly web forms.
- Improvements in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) that now provides support for rich content presentation with support for Windows 7 multi-touch, ribbon controls, and taskbar extensibility features and support for Surface 2.0 SDK. There are new line-of-business controls including charting control, smart edit, data grid, and others that significantly improves and eases the development of data centric applications, crucial to businesses
- Improvements to Windows Workflow (WF) that enable developers to better host and interact with workflows.
- Improvements to Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) such as support for WCF Workflow Services enabling workflow programs with messaging activities, correlation support.
- Innovative new parallel-programming features such as parallel loop support, Task Parallel Library (TPL), Parallel LINQ (PLINQ), and coordination data structures which let developers harness the power of multi-core processors.
Free download .NET framework 4 and enjoy building richer windows applications.This new framework is supported on windows XP SP3, vista (SP1 or later), Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit, Windows Server 2008.
You need windows installer 3.1 or windows installer 4.5 or windows installer 5 (if you are on windows 7), to download and install it.Download and install .NET framework 4 and enhance your .NET application development expertise.Please your customers with applications that offer visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.
Free download Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and build feature rich windows applications with Windows 7 multi-touch, ribbon controls, and taskbar extensibility features and support for Surface 2.0 SDK.
Current average ratings.