Password protect files, folders and compressed/zip files in windows vista.
Yes you can now password protect folders, files and compressed or zip files in windows vista with a freeware called Encrypt Files (vista password protector).It also encrypts the password protected files, folders and compressed/zip files in windows vista.In fact the tool supports Windows XP and other older versions of Windows operating systems.
Protect files and folders in windows vista by encrypting them:
In windows vista, you can protect files and folders by encrypting them or by manually specifying who can access the folders or files, or hide them. Encryption is the most secure option as anyone can easily un-hide the hidden files and folders in windows vista.But there is no native support to password protect folders, files and zip files as in windows XP or windows 2000 or windows ME.
However note that the ability to encrypt files and folders is not available in Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Home Premium. “Encrypt files” will help to password protect compressed/zip files, folders and files in these versions of windows vista too.
The tool does not have any specific hardware requirements although the speed of encryption or decryption is directly dependent on the speed of the computer.Hence, if you plan to do a lot of encryption at one go, you would be better off having at least 1 Ghz machine.
How to use Encrypt Files?
The tool has a folder tree viewer, identical to Windows Explorer, in the middle section of the program. Navigate to files you want to encrypt. You can shift select multiple files including compressed/zip files or pick folders as well to password protect the selected files, folders and compressed/zip files in windows vista or XP or any older versions of Windows.
After selecting the files, folders and compressed/zip files, choose the encrypt icon from the left pane of the program. You will be prompted for a password. Remember this password as it will be used to decrypt files back. Press “Encrypt” button to start the encryption. If the size of the chosen files or folders is not very large, encryption would finish quickly.
You can choose the algorithm to encrypt the files and folders on right side of the program interface. You can also specify what the program should do with the original file that you intent to encrypt, by choosing the appropriate ‘Source file action” option.
Note that you can either keep intact, delete, or shred the original file.
Available File Encryption Algorithms:
- Blow fish (448)
- Two fish (256)
- Cast (256)
- Ice (64)
- Mars (1248)
- Misty 1 (128)
- RC2 (1024)
- RC4 (2048)
- RC6 (2048)
- Rijn Dael (AES 256)
- Tea (128)
- Serpent (256)
- Triple Des (192)
Source File Action:
The “Source File Action” option tells the program, what to do with original file after encryption. You can either choose to leave the file intact or delete it using regular windows delete command or shred it. Shredding is a procedure that ensures all deleted files will be permanently destroyed beyond recovery.
- Leave - Do not touch original file, leave it as is
- Delete - Delete original file after encrypting
- Shred - Delete original file and shred it (make it unrecoverable)
Select password protected (encrypted) file or folders in the folder/file tree viewer of the program. Choose decrypt icon on the left pane. You will be prompted for the password that you used to encrypt them.Enter the password and press “Decrypt” button.
Vista password protector Settings:
Click on Encryption Settings button on the left pane of Encrypt Files or vista password protector to access the settings panel. Settings window has two tabs – Main and Passwords.
- Keep Date for Encrypted Files – This option will retain the original creation date on the files you want to encrypt. Creation date is an attribute of the windows vista or XP Operating Systems.
- Mark encrypted files as hidden after encryption – this option will put “hidden” attribute on files after they have been encrypted. “Hidden” is a attribute of Windows operating system. Please note that “hidden” files can be made visible in Windows using Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders.
- Enable Encrypting entire directories – this option unlocks the functionality to encrypt folders.
- Show Passwords (don’t use asterisks) – shows the passwords instead of asterisks.
- Clear password box after operation – clears the password input field ie. makes the Encrypt Files or vista password protector program to not remember the password.Hence you will have to type it in every time you use Encrypt Files.
- Enable Encrypting entire directories – This option unlocks the functionality to encrypt folders.
- Ask for program password – This option makes Encrypt Files ask for password each time you start it.
Enter Program Password and Confirm Password are input fields where you can set general password for accessing the program. However, this is not the same as password required for file encryption. This password helps you protect unauthorized use of the program.
Free download vista password protector or encrypt files:
Free download Encrypt Files and password protect files, folders and compressed/zip files in windows vista.
People who read this also viewed these helpful relevant videos
Current average ratings.