My Phone is a new Windows Mobile Sync service from Microsoft to back up, restore and manage your mobile phone data to a password-protected web storage space. Earlier we covered Google sync, a free application to sync blackberry contacts and calendar events.Google Sync also supports Apple’s Iphones.
Windows Mobile Sync with My Phone:
My Phone is the Microsoft version of Google sync and is available for Windows Mobile phones. My Phone lets you Sync Windows Mobile Phones and is available for most phones that run on Windows Mobile 6 (or higher) operating systems.Each account is given 200 MB of free storage and My Phone syncs all information including contacts, calendar appointments, photos, tasks, videos, text messages, music, documents and more such information on your mobile phone to the free web storage space, so that you can easily restore them when needed. This is very useful when you want to upgrade to a new phone.
My Phone is accessible through a web browser and you can add, edit and delete contacts, calendar appointments, etc. These can later be synced to your phone.You can also easily view photos on your computer that were captured with your camera phone or share them with family and friends.
Limitations of “My Phone”
- If you have an active connection with Microsoft Exchange server (which is frequently used for corporate e-mail), My Phone will not synchronize your contacts, calendar appointments or tasks
- If you have Windows Live installed on your phone, it will synchronize your Windows Live contacts with the Windows Live web site and My Phone will synchronize your other contacts to your account on the My Phone web site
- If you have an external memory card and selected My Phone’s recommended settings, information on the external memory card will not be synchronized
- If you store contacts on the SIM card provided by your mobile operator, My Phone will not synchronize these contacts
- If you have any documents stored outside the “My Documents” folder on your phone, My Phone will not synchronize these documents
- If a synchronization would result in the storage limit of 200 MB being exceeded, you will receive an error message on your phone and your account on the My Phone web site will only include information received prior to reaching this limit. Any files in excess of this size limit will not be saved
If you accept the recommended settings, My Phone will automatically synchronize information between your Windows mobile phone and your Microsoft My Phone web account once per day, between 11:00 P.M. and 5:00 A.M., except when your phone cannot connect to your default data network. For example, when your phone is turned off or out of range or in “roaming” state.
However, you can manually sync you data at any time, by selecting Sync in the Microsoft My Phone application.
My Phone is currently in beta and is a free service but the data plan you have with your mobile operator may require you to pay data-transfer charges when you use the service. Sign up for “My Phone” here. Since it is a limited beta, you might be wait-listed. Enjoy Windows Mobile Sync with “My Phone”.
People who read this also viewed these helpful relevant videos
Current average ratings.