Though Yahoo supports POP3 and SMTP protocols for a long time now, it provides this support for free in Yahoo Asia but not in other countries at the time of writing this article. If you live in other parts of the globe, you may either use YPOPS or change “Set language, site, and time zone” under “Account Settings” to “Yahoo! Asia”. Find out more about this here – Yahoo POP Email Settings.
POP and SMTP are email protocols that allow you to manage any email account from another email client program. We had an article on how to read Hotmail mails in Gmail, by configuring Gmail for Hotmail’s POP3 settings.Similarly, you can configure Yahoo to funnel all your mails into Gmail or Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird or any other mail program on your PC or mobile phones. When you check your mails in Gmail or any such mail program, they will automatically check your Yahoo mail account and download any new messages.
Thus, by configuring Yahoo POP3 Settings in any email client, one can send and receive Yahoo Mail messages from such client software.You can not only send messages from such email client programs with ‘From” address as your Yahoo mail id but you can also set up your Yahoo mail account to receive emails from other mail accounts.
Yahoo POP3 and SMTP Settings:
Find below the basic POP3 settings for configuring any email program where you want to receive Yahoo mails.
- “POP3 Server” – Set the POP server for incoming mails as pop.mail.yahoo.com. You will have to enable “SSL” and use 995 for Port.
- “SMTP Server” – Set the SMTP server for outgoing mails as smtp.mail.yahoo.com. You will also have to make sure that “SSL” is enabled and use 465 for port. you must also enable “authentication” for this to work.
- “Account Name or Login Name” – Your Yahoo Mail ID i.e. your email address without the domain “@yahoo.com”.
- “Email Address” – Your Yahoo Mail address i.e. your email address including the domain “@yahoo.com”. E.g. email@example.com
- “Password” – Your Yahoo Mail password.
Yahoo! Mail Plus users may have to set POP server as plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and SMTP server as plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
Note that you need to enable “Web & POP Access” in your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through any other email program.
You will have to enable “Allow your Yahoo Mail to be POPed” under “POP and Forwarding”, to send and receive Yahoo mails through any other email client.
- Log on to your Yahoo email account
- If you’re using the new Yahoo Mail interface, Click “Options” in the upper-right corner of the page and then choose “More Options…” from the pull-down menu. Then, on the left side of the “Mail Options” window, click on “POP & Forwarding” option. If you’re using the Classic Mail interface, click “Mail Options” in the upper-right corner of the interface and then click “POP and Forwarding” link from the menu on the left of “Mail Options” window.
- On the “Pop and Forwarding” page, choose the “Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed” option. You can instead choose to forward your emails to an external email account by choosing the option “Forward your Yahoo! Mail” and specifying the external email address. But you can’t Forward and POP your mail simultaneously. Also note that forwarded mail skips your Yahoo mail box and go straight to the new address you designate.
Next, you need to configure your Yahoo POP3 and SMTP settings (if you had chosen “Allow your Yahoo! Mail to be POPed” option) in the other mail program, to access Yahoo mails via through it.
How to configure Gmail to read and reply to Yahoo mails?
Find below the steps to configure Gmail for Yahoo POP3 and SMTP.
- Logon to your Gmail Account
- Click Settings in Gmail and open the Accounts tab
- In the Get mail from other accounts section, click Add another mail account
- Enter your full Yahoo email address and click Next Step
- Enter your Yahoo email address, User name (without the “@yahoo.com”) and Password in their respective text boxes
- Gmail automatically chooses the appropriate Yahoo POP server.
- Specify 995 against port
- If you’d like to keep a copy of each mail that Gmail retrieves, in your Yahoo account as well, select the Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server check-box. This way, you can access mails via both Yahoo mail and Gmail
- Yahoo mail does not mandate you to use a secure connection (SSL) though it is preferable to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through SSL.Hence, select the Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail check-box. In case you don’t choose this option, you should specify the pop3 server port as 110.
- If you do like to distinguish your Yahoo mails from other mails, choose Label incoming messages option and use any preferred label. You can select an existing label or create a new one from the drop-down list.
- If you don’t want your Yahoo mails to show up in your Inbox and you want to automatically archive them, choose Archive incoming messages option
- Next, Click Add Account
- Once your Yahoo mail account has been added successfully, you’ll have the option of setting it as a custom From address. This allows you to compose messages in Gmail, but have them appear to be sent from your Yahoo mail box. Click Yes to set up a custom From address.
That is all! You can now read Yahoo mails in Gmail and even reply to them from Gmail. Enjoy.
If you are using other web based email accounts, You may also find these useful.
Current average ratings.