Earlier we covered RockXP to find or change XP key. We also covered Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to retrieve or change windows product key of products like windows xp, vista, office 2007 and several other windows applications.
Though the above free third party products should work, here is another simple and straightforward method to change windows XP product key.
How to change XP product key?
- Back up the windows registry. This would help in case you modify it incorrectly and courrpt it
- Run System Restore to create a new restore point
- Click Start >> Run
- Type regedit, and then click OK
- In the navigation pane, locate and click the following registry key:
- In the topic pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify
- Change the value (one or more digits) to deactivate Windows
- Close the registry
Reactivate Windows and change product key:
- Click Start >> Run
- Type the following command, and click OK
- Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
- Click Change Product key
- Type the new 25 digit alphanumeric product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update
- If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message:
Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit
- Click OK
- Restart Windows
Install Windows XP Service Pack 1a or a later version of Windows XP.
That is all . You have changed the Windows XP product key.
If you cannot restart Windows after you install Windows XP SP1 or a later version of Windows XP, restart your computer and start pressing F8 until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu. Select Last Known Good Configuration from the menu and press ENTER. This option starts Windows by using a previous good configuration.Then repeat the steps listed under “Reactivate Windows and change product key” above.
The above solution is suggested by Microsoft Support to change the XP product key under KB328874. Do they work for you?