Are you looking for a PDF editor to cut and join PDF? Get the free software PDF Split and Merge (PDFSAM).This open source software is actually available as a basic and enhanced version.
PDF Split and Merge is a Java program and it provides both a Graphical interface (GUI) and a shell interface (Console). Being a Java program, it is platform independent and runs on all computer where a Java Virtual Machine is available.
While the basic version of PDF Split and Merge is a simple and stable program, the enhanced version is more rich in features. The basic version is completely free and the enhanced version is “almost” free. Since the source code for the enhanced version is available for free download, you can download, compile and use it on any system.
If you make a donation of even say 1$, you get complete and unlimited access to the compiled code, win32 installer, access to the support forums and to the features request section. We feel that it is definitely worth a donation of at least 10 dollars per download as a token of appreciation for the work done by the developers.
Features of PDF Split and Merge Basic
PDF Split and Merge basic has a simple and intuitive interface. It can be used for any of the following purposes.
- The tool can be used to split PDF Files into chapters, single pages, etc.
- It can not only be used to cut PDF files but also to merge PDF files or subsections of them.
- You can extract any portion of the PDF document into a separate PDF document.
- The freeware can also be used to mix and merge alternate pages taken from two or more PDF documents, in any order.
- It can be used to rotate pages or to visually reorder pages of the selected PDF documents.
- The tool even makes it easy to visually compose a new PDF document by dragging pages from other selected documents.
- PDFSAM can also be configured to load at system start up and to automate any recurrent jobs.
Features of PDF Split and Merge Enhanced Edition
PDF Split and Merge Enhanced has all the features of the basic version and provides the following additional features.
- The enhanced version can be used to encrypt any PDF File and set appropriate permissions on them.
- It also supports the addition of a Cover page or an addendum (or both) to your PDF documents.
- It not only supports encryption but it can also be used to decrypt any PDF documents.
- It also makes it easy to extract any attachments like zip files, images etc. from the PDF documents.
- You can even set meta data like author, title, etc. for the PDF document.
PDF Split and Merge is basically a simple GUI utility and it is made of a main GUI, a plugin to split PDF documents and a plugin to merge PDF documents. If you face any issues in running it, ensure that an appropriate Java Virtual Machine is installed on the computer.
The command line application “pdfsam-console” is useful for running batch job. There is a bat script for win32 and a sh script for unix in “bin” sub-directory.
PDF Split and Merge runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Free download the basic and enhanced versions of PDF Split and Merge from here.
Cut PDF and Join PDF With PDF Split and Merge program.