Defrag disk in windows with Ultradefrag, a free open source disk defragmenter. This windows disk defragmentation utility lets you achieve efficient and fast defragmentation, than the native windows defragment tool.
Ultradefrag is available as a portable version and in three different interfaces – Graphical User Interface, Command Line Interface and a native interface that runs at boot time! The software is powerful and provides full support for defragmentation of locked files. It processes all files including registry hives, hiberfil.sys file, paging files and many other files locked by the system or other applications, during the Windows boot process.
It also provides an Explorer context menu to select any file or folder and defragment it individually. you can use this option to defragment any newly installed application or game for maximum performance.
Disk Defragmentation can also be scheduled with a built-in scheduler. For example, you can schedule Ultradefrag to run when you had completed all the work and are about to shut down your PC.You can also configure it to automatically hibernate or shutdown your PC after the run.
Features of Ultrdefrag – Free Disk Defragmenter for Windows
The following are the features of Ultrdefrag.
- It can work on all system files i.e. registry, page files etc.
- It can work on most file systems i.e. it can defragment FAT, NTFS and UDF file systems in Windows 7 and Vista.
- Provides support for fast NTFS analysis.
- The freeware has a fast defragmentation algorithm and an effective volume optimization algorithm.
- UltraDefrag is safe to use as it does not damage files.
- Has a friendly user interface.
- Support for defragmenting a single file or directory through the context menu in Explorer.
- Ability to defragment additional streams attached to NTFS files.
- Ability to exclude files based on flexible filters.
- Ability to defragment files which have number of fragments above specified threshold.
- Ability to automatically break defragmentation when the specified time interval elapses.
- Provide detailed HTML reports.
- Has a powerful command line interface
- Provides support for scheduling defragmentation.
- Provides a multilingual graphical interface.
- It is also available as a portable version which requires no installation.
- Supports even 64-bit computers.
Though Ultradefrag can defragment different file systems, there are a few system restrictions, as listed below.
- Directories on FAT volumes cannot be moved. This is a well known FAT driver mistake and it cannot be fixed.
- $MFT, $Bitmap and other internal NTFS files cannot be defragmented on Windows versions prior to Windows 7. Because NTFS system driver prevents accessing them.
- It cannot defragment volumes containing more than 4.294.967.295 clusters.
- The tool cannot be run on NTFS v1.2 formatted volumes under Windows NT 4.0, as it may crash the system.
UltraDefrag is fully compatible with Windows 7 , Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and all of the 64-bit editions of Windows. Free download ultradefrag.