Apple had announced the availability of Iphone Firmware 3.1 for download, during Apple’s “Rock iPhone OS 3.1 and Roll” event in San Francisco on September 09 2009. While Iphone firmware 3.0 released earlier this year on June 17 2009 had some good features, Iphone 3.1 will have the following features.
If you are using an unlocked iphone, you shouldn’t upgrade to Iphone OS 3.1, directly from Apple. If you are on a Mac, you can download Pwnage Tool for Mac to jailbreak iPhone 2G, the iPhone 3G and the iPod touch 1G on Iphone firmware 3.1. Windows users will however have to wait for the release of redsn0w to jailbreak their iPhones.
iPhone OS 3.1 Features:
iPhone OS 3.1 may support the following features:
- iPhone OS 3.1 will offer the ability to save any edited clip (trimmed video clip) as a copy instead of overwriting the original video clip.
- iPhone OS 3.1 will also let you manage Voice Control in iPhone 3GS, over Bluetooth, thereby allowing users to initiate calls and control playback of music using Bluetooth headsets.
- Though Apple introduced MMS in firmware 3.0, it will now be enabled by default.
- Safari browser settings will provide a “Fraud Protection” toggle to safeguard users from phishing attacks.
- The OS will also improve performance. It will not only speedup device start up and shutdown but it will also quicken launching of iPhone apps.
- iPhone OS 3.1 might also introduce new APIs to let developers of third-party applications provide features for accessing and editing videos.
- Iphone Users will also experience vibration when the icons on the Home screen are rearranged.
- iPhone OS 3.1 will also introduce significant improvements to OpenGL and Quartz.
- This release will also improve the security by requiring a PIN whenever password-locked iPhones are plugged into any new computer for syncing.
- Firmware 3.1 will not only improve performance but will also enhance the battery life.
- This version will also introduce fail over support for HTTP live streaming.
- It will also provide real-time zooming capabilities for the built-in camera.
How To Download and Install to iPhone OS 3.1?
The steps to download and install iPhone OS 3.1 will not be different and it will be the same as follows:
- Ensure that you download iTunes 9 and update your iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone/iPhone 3G to the computer.
- iTunes will automatically open and you just need to select the connected iPhone under “Devices” in the “Source List” on the left.
- In the iPhone Summary pane, click “Check for Update“.
- Then , click “Download and Install”. Make sure that you do not disconnect the iPhone until the update has finished.
Try the new features in iPhone firmware 3.1 features and enjoy using it!