This is a tutorial on how to embed video in PowerPoint and use it as a PowerPoint background in office 2010 and office 2007. Embedding a video is the same as linking to a video.
Do you know that you can embed video in PowerPoint and have it as a background in any slide? This is especially cool when you want to have an animated PowerPoint background or apply ripples or any other video effects to that special slide in your presentation! Here is how you can apply video as a PowerPoint background in PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 2007.
How to embed a video in PowerPoint 2010?
Applying a video as a PowerPoint background is as simple as embedding the video file on your slide. To embed a video file and use it as a background in a PowerPoint slide, you may have to do the following.
- 1.In Normal view of PowerPoint 2010, click the slide in which you want to embed a video.
- 2.On the “Insert” tab, in the “Media” group, click the arrow under “Video”, and then click “Video from file”.
- 3.An “Insert Video” dialog box will pop up. You can then select the video you want to embed and click “Insert”.
- 4.The video gets embedded in the selected PowerPoint slide. You may then select the corner sizing handles of the video frame and drag them to cover the slide with the video frame.
That is it!
In addition to .wmv videos, PowerPoint 2010 supports QuickTime videos in .mov and .mp4 formats and flash videos (.swf files), if you had installed QuickTime and Adobe Flash players on your PC. However PowerPoint 2010 does not support 64-bit versions of QuickTime or Flash. There are also some limitations in using Flash in PowerPoint 2010, including the inability to use special effects (such as shadows, reflections, glow effects, soft edges, bevels, and 3-D rotation), the fade and trim capabilities, and the ability to compress these files for easier sharing and distribution.
How to embed video in PowerPoint 2007?
While Microsoft has made it so easy to embed videos in PowerPoint 2010, if you are still on PowerPoint 2007, then you will have to do the following to embed videos.
- 1. First, download the video and save it as an AVI or WMV file. A WMV file file works great in PowerPoint. If you have the video in any other format, you can use some free online services like zamzar to convert the video to an AVI file
- 2. Have the video and the PowerPoint presentation in which you want to embed the video in the same folder
- 3. Open the presentation and choose the slide in which you want to embed the video.
- 4. Then click the “Insert” tab from the ribbon and choose “Movie & Sound” >> “Movie From File”.
- 5. In the resulting pop up, search for your movie file (in the same folder) and add it.
- 6. You can then select the corner sizing handles of the video frame and re-size it
Note that embedding is the same as linking to a video and it is not the same as inserting a video.If you will be making the presentation on another computer, you have to make sure that you have the video file in the same folder as your presentation.
Check out this video to understand how to embed videos in PowerPoint 2007.