File compression is even better with the open source and free software 7-Zip. This free file compression utility works on windows vista/XP and in earlier versions of windows too.There is also a command line version for Linux/Unix.
7-Zip supports a new high 7Z format that provides very high file compression ratio.Some of the features of 7Z format include:
- Open architecture
- High file compression ratio
- Strong AES-256 encryption
- Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption method
- Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
- Unicode file names
- Solid compressing
- Archive headers compressing
However for ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip only provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than that of the more popular file compression utilities, WinZip and PKZip.
I tried compression a word document into 7Z format and zip format with 7-Zip.The zip format generated by 7-zip definitely had a size lesser than that produced by winzip.However the 7Z format achieved a very high file compression ratio.It is definitely a very good format to share files. Being free, it should definitely find more usage by windows users.Spread the word about 7-Zip.
Other 7-Zip features:
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 69 languages
check out the 7-Zip FAQs
Free download 7-Zip for windows 32-bit and 64-bit and enjoy better file compression.