Microsoft is offering Free windows 7 upgrade under the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program.Under this program, licensed end users of selected Microsoft Windows Vista operating system editions can obtain an Upgrade license (the Upgrade) to the appropriate Windows 7 edition at reduced or no additional cost if the end user meets program qualifications.
Update: Students and the academic community worldwide can free download windows 7 or buy windows 7 cheap at discounted prices.Check out the following posts for further information.
Who are eligible for Free upgrade?
All Users who buy PCs pre-installed with the following editions of windows Vista, between June 26, 2009 to January 31, 2010 are eligible for a free Windows 7 upgrade:
- Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1 or SP2) – Eligible for upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows Vista Business (SP1 or SP2) – Eligible for upgrade to Windows 7 Professional
- Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1 or SP2) – Eligible for upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate
PCs that are licensed for an eligible Windows Vista edition, which have been down-graded to Windows XP are also eligible for this Program. However, a clean installation of the upgrade media will be required unless you used recovery media to install the original Windows Vista edition pre-installed on the PC, in which case you can directly upgrade to Windows 7.
PC manufacturers may include a Microsoft free upgrade offer Form with computers distributed with qualifying Windows Vista editions, pre-installed on or after June 26, 2009. If your computer was pre-installed with Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Home Premium and it was distributed on or after June 26, 2009 but did not include the described Microsoft Offer Form, check with your computer manufacturer to see if your PC is part of the Upgrade Option Program. If so, you should follow the PC manufacturerâs directions for obtaining your Upgrade.
However, it is important to note that not all PC manufacturers are participating in the Upgrade Option Program and a few participating PC manufacturers have constructed a unique method for receiving and fulfilling Windows 7 Upgrade requests.
It is also important to know the following conditions:
- The last date for qualifying end users to submit Upgrade media redemption orders (Offer forms) is February 28, 2010
- The Final Software Fulfillment Date / Program End Date is April 30, 2010.
- Microsoft will start shipping the upgrade media for qualifying end usersâ on or after the Windows 7 General Availability Date – 22 October 2009.
- The upgrade is not available for Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Starter edition, and any Windows XP versions
Different upgrade media will be required by platform (32-bit or 64-bit) and territory-specific versions of Windows Vista. The Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the associated Windows 7 edition mentioned above. For example, Windows Vista Home Premium K edition can only be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium K edition.
However, for each eligible upgrade path, all available upgrade versions for a qualifying product (e.g., language-specific versions, territory-specific versions, 32-bit or 64-bit platform) will be supported. Upgrade media will be product edition and version-specific and will correspond to the qualifying product edition and version. For example, a language version of the qualifying Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the same language version of the Windows 7 upgrade software.
Recommended system requirements for Windows 7 Upgrade:
The following are the recommended system requirements to install Windows 7:
- 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
- 1 GB of system memory
- 16 GB of available disk space
- Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
- DVD-R/W Drive
- Internet access
If you are eligible under this program, enjoy a free Windows 7 upgrade.
Update – The free Windows 7 upgrade offer has now expired. If you do like to test windows 7 before buying it, free download Windows 7 Enterprise trial version and test its unique and powerful features.