A tutorial on how to install fonts or remove any font in microsoft windows 7, vista, windows xp and windows 2003.After installing fonts, you may need to restart an open application for it to use them
Do you like to try some new fonts that you just discovered on the internet in windows? But how do you install fonts in windows? Here is a simple tutorial to install fonts in windows xp, vista and windows 7.
How to install fonts in windows XP
In windows xp, all fonts are installed in the folder C:\WINDOWS\fonts. To install a font, copy the font file into this folder and you will find a Install Font Progress dialog running to completion. That is it! This is the easiest way to install font in windows.
How to install fonts in windows 7 or windows vista
Installing fonts in windows 7 or vista is as simple as right clicking the font file and clicking “Install” from the right click context menu. You will be shown an UAC (User Account Control) window asking you to confirm the installation. Click Continue.
That is it!
It is important to remember that you need to restart the applications in order to use the newly installed fonts in such applications.
Alternative method to install fonts in windows
Here are another set of steps to install fonts in windows.
- 1. Click Start => Run.
- 2. Type the following command, and click OK.
- 3. Go to File => Install New Font
- 4. In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.
- 5. In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.
- 6. In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
- 7. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the c:\Windows\Fonts folder.(Note that here c: is the drive where windows is installed)
- 8. Click OK.
How to remove a font installed in windows?
To remove the font, simply navigate to C:\WINDOWS\fonts (where c: is the drive in which windows is installed) and delete the font file.You can even move the font file to another folder and windows will no longer be able to use it, as it always looks for font files in this folder.
You can even follow the below steps to delete a font in windows.
- Click Start => Run.
- Type the following command, and click OK
- Click the font that you want to remove. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
- On the File menu, click Delete.
- When you receive the “Are you sure you want to delete these fonts?” prompt, click Yes.
That is it! Isn’t installing fonts in windows easy?