Install ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on windows vista and XP, straight from ubuntu CD, without any need to manually partition the hard drive.Wubi has now been integrated with ubuntu 8.10 and the installation on windows has been made much simpler.
Now this tutorial is on installing ubuntu 8.10 from the ubuntu CD.The installation process takes care of automatically partitioning your hard drive.
How to install ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on windows?
- Free Download the Ubuntu ISO image from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and save it on your PC
- Burn the ISO image to a blank CD using the free ISORecorder to write ISO image to CD or ImgBurn to burn ISO to CD
- Insert the CD on to your computer system’s CD drive and run it
- Select âinstall inside Windowsâ and follow the simple instructions. From here, the installation is taken care by the integrated Wubi installer and you will find the same screens like installing using Wubi.However, this process uses the Grub Bootloader to start Ubuntu.
Next, you will get to see the following screen:
- Set up the installation drive, where you want to install ubuntu 8.10
- choose your preferred language
- Set up the desired installation size,depending upon the available disk space
- choose the ubuntu flavour to install like kubuntu, Xubuntu and Mythbuntu
- Specify an username and a password for the new account, and click âinstallâ
- After the installation files are prepared, you will be asked to reboot the PC
- After reboot, select ubuntu at the boot screen
The Intrepid Ibex installation will finish to completion and the machine will restart again.Now you can choose an operating system to start on your windows boot manager.Here you can choose ubuntu (or any other flavour that you had installed) and start using it.
That is all folks. Kudos to ubuntu, for making making ubuntu installation on windows so easy. Install ubuntu 8.10 and enjoy.