Linksys router is from cisco and it is an household name in U.S.A, U.K and most parts of the world, when it comes to home routers! This is a simple guide to setup a linksys router and with this guide, it is easy to install one, even by an average computer user!
This is how you will set up a linksys router with a windows operating system like windows 7, vista or windows xp and a mac operating system like mac OS.Currently, Cisco offers a number of Linksys E-Series routers, that come with the Cisco Connect software, which makes setting up and managing your Linksys E-Series quick and simple! The software guides you with a step-by-step Setup Wizard, which makes setup and configuration easy to understand! You’ll have your Linksys E-Series up and running in no time.
Before we get started on how to set up a linksys router, you will do well to ensure that you have the following.
- An active internet connection
- A computer with a wireless or wired Ethernet adapter, running one of the operating systems below.
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 or better
- Windows XP with Service Pack 3
- Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.9
- Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11
- Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1
- Step 1 – A Linksys E-Series Router lets you run setup via a wired or wireless connection! If you are using a computer, with no wireless connectivity, that is normally connected with an Ethernet cable to your DSL/Cable modem, then do the following.
connect one end of the supplied Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on your computer, and connect the other end into one of the numbered Ethernet ports at the back of your Linksys router. You can choose any port except the one, if any, labeled “WAN”.
If you are using a computer or laptop with a built-in wireless adapter, ensure that its wireless feature is switched ON, and that your laptop is positioned within 5 feet of your Linksys E-Series. Most laptops do have a switch that turns its built-in wireless feature ON and OFF. You may refer to your laptop’s documentation or online help, if you’re unsure where this switch is. However, this doesn’t apply if you purchased an external wireless adapter separately.
- Step 2 – On your computer, insert the supplied Setup CD that came with your Router. Setup should start automatically. The first screen greets you with the Software End User License Agreement. Please take a moment to read through and understand the agreement. Once you’re ready, go ahead and click Next.The Linksys E-Series model displayed on the setup screen may vary based on the Linksys E-Series model you have.
- Step 3 – Plug one end of the power cable into your router and the other end into an electrical outlet. The Linksys E3000 features a power switch, located at the back-end of the unit, next to the power port. Please make sure that this switch is ON. Other Router models may not have this feature.
- Step 4 – Plug the Internet cable into the yellow port in the back of your router labeled “Internet.” Plug the other end into the modem. Click Next to continue.
- Step 5 – Setup will now perform a series of tests to determine the optimum configurations for your network. You may notice your computer connecting and disconnecting to a wireless network several times. This is normal. Your wireless network is simply being secured. The setup process automatically generates a unique and secure Wireless Network Name (SSID) for your convenience.
- Step 6 – The next part of the setup automatically detects your Internet connection type. If you are using a DSL connection, you may be requested to enter your account details. If this is the case, simply enter your Account name and Password in the allocated fields. Otherwise, you may skip ahead to Step 7. If you don’t know your Account name and Password, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will be able to provide these details. Cable Internet users will not see the below screen.
- Step 7 – Sit back and wait a moment as setup finalizes your Linksys E-Series settings, and re-establishes your Internet connection.
- Step 8 – Once your Internet connection is up and running, a confirmation window similar to the screenshot below will appear on your screen. Your Linksys E-Series is now secure and connected to the Internet. This concludes the setup process. Click OK to continue.
- Step 9 – You will now be taken to the main Cisco Connect window which lets you manage and further personalize your network settings. You may click on the Close button to exit Cisco Connect, and begin surfing the Internet right away.
To launch Cisco Connect again at later time, on a Windows computer, go to Start>All Programs>Cisco Connect. To launch Cisco Connect on a Mac computer, navigate to the Applications folder in Go, and then start Cisco Connect.
Cisco Connect is automatically installed each time you use the Setup CD or Easy Setup Key to setup or connect to your Linksys E-Series.
That is it. Isn’t that easy?
This is a step by step guide to set up a cisco linksys router.In this tutorial you will learn how to easily install a linksys router on windows and Mac OS with the CD.
How to set up a linksys router using the CD?
In this tutorial, we will explain how to set up a Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router.However, setting up any other linksys router is not any different from the steps outlined here.