Download Free Screen Recorder to Video Capture Computer Screen in Windows 7, Vista and XP
– Microsoft introduced the snipping tool in windows vista, to capture the computer screen as images in various formats. We were delighted with it, as it was way better than the basic print screen utility in windows, though it was not as flexible as the “Snagit” or other free screen capture tools. It didn’t give the users any option to re-size the image or to add captions and titles.
We expected microsoft to enhance the snipping tool in windows 7, but it was not to be! We also expected Microsoft to introduce a video capture tool in windows 7 to record the computer screen, but there wasn’t any! Camstudio continued to be the best know free screen recorder to record tutorials. However, we recently came across this free screen to video capture tool from Koyote and were impressed with it.
Free Screen to Video Recorder
Koyote’s screen to video capture proved to be a good alternative to Camstudio, in video capturing the computer screen, though it has its own limitations. Here we tell you more about this free video recording tool and how to download, install and use it!
- Record the activity on either the whole computer screen or any selected area
- Option to record the sound via the computer microphone
- Option to either capture or not capture the mouse movement.Default setting is to capture the mouse movement.
- Save the video recording as either FLV, AVI, SWF (Flash) or WMV formats. Default format is FLV.
- Configure the parameters of recording quality like FPS, video size, video and audio bit rate, audio frequency and more
Download Koyote’s screen to video Recorder
You can download this free screen recording tool here.
After you download the above app (exe), double click the file to start installing it. During installation, the program automatically downloads the Microsoft codecs to support WMV format and this occupies 11 MB of your hard disk space. This free screen to video recorder will also try to optionally install a third party toolbar and make Yahoo! as the default search engine. You can however opt out of them, by deselecting those options as shown below.
How to record screen to video in flv, avi, wmv or flash format?
- 1. Run the Screen to Video application
- 2. choose the screen area to record. You can either choose to record the entire screen or only the selected window or the selected area
- 4. By default, the recorded video will be saved as FLV file.You can change this to either AVI, WMV or SWF (flash) formats.
- 5. You can then select “Configuration” to specify audio capture (if needed), FPS, format, video and audio bit-rate, video size and other recording parameters.
- 6. You can also choose to either capture or not capture the mouse movements
- 7. Once you are done configuring the parameters, click “Start” to start recording the video. You will be asked to specify the name for the recorded video file and the location to save it.
Note – If you have multiple windows open, the “Save As” dialog window may be found it background.You will have to either press Alt+Tab or minimize all open windows (Show the desktop), to navigate to it!
- 8. The freeware will automatically start recording the computer screen activity.If you aren’t yet ready, you can press F9 to pause the recording, get ready with what you want to record and then press F9 again to resume recording
- 9. Once you are done with the activity, press F10 to stop the recording.The software takes a few seconds to save the output in the chosen location.
That is it! The recorded video is ready to be played. You can play it by right clicking the file and choosing Launch Video. If you have VLC Player installed on your computer, the video will be played on it.
You can also choose to “create a web page for the video” by right clicking the file on the software’s interface.
Koyote screen to video capture tool is a simple, yet neat and useful utility to record the screen. It would have been great if the developers had made it easier to upload and share the video via Youtube, Facebook and more. Thought this isn’t very difficult to do, it would have helped the basic computer users, to easily share the recorded video.