Transfer all the files and settings from the Computer to another device using Windows Easy Transfer, a free software utility from Microsoft.
Microsoft has released the free Windows Easy Transfer utility to make it easy to back up all files and Windows settings on the computer to another PC, before you install Windows 7. After installing the OS, you may use Windows Easy Transfer to restore the files and settings to the computer running windows 7 i.e. to restore file and settings after you upgrade XP or vista to windows 7.
Microsoft does not recommend the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP to transfer the files and settings from the computer to another PC, if you are upgrading to windows 7, as you won’t be able to restore the files in Windows 7. Microsoft has released Windows Easy Transfer as the legacy utility in Windows XP may not help in restoring the transferred files and settings to windows 7.Though Windows Easy Transfer has been released to facilitate the Windows 7 upgrade process in computers running XP or vista to Windows 7, this free utility an be used transfer and back up files and settings whenever you want.
Windows Easy Transfer creates a single file that bundles all the files and settings in windows XP or vista. The size of this file depends on the amount of data you have on your computer running Windows XP or vista. If this data is huge, it is recommended to transfer the files and settings to an external hard disk, as CDs or DVDs may not help.
What Windows Easy Transfer does not do?
Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t help in moving your installed programs. You’ll need to manually reinstall all the software programs, after completing the Windows 7 installation. However, Windows Easy Transfer will provide you with a list of programs that you are currently using with Windows XP.
It is also important to remember that Windows Easy Transfer can help in transferring the music and video files to an external device, but it doesn’t migrate the licenses for any content protected by digital rights management (DRM). Thus, you will have to ensure that all the licenses to such protected content are backed up or available in a safe location. These would be needed to restore the content in Windows 7.
Windows Easy Transfer cannot transfer and restore files from a 64-bit version of Windows on a computer running 32-bit version of Windows. If you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows XP but you plan to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7, you’ll have to manually transfer the files and settings to an external location before installing Windows 7. after installation, you will have to manually restore the files and settings.
Download and install Windows Easy Transfer
If you’re running a 32-bit version of Windows XP, click the button labeled “Download 32-bit for windows XP” . If you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, click button labeled “Download 64-bit for windows XP”. If you are on Windows vista, you may download the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the tool for Vista.
How to run Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from Computer?
- First connect your external hard disk or other storage device to your computer.
- Next, Click Start –> All Programs, and then click Windows Easy Transfer.
- Click Next.
- Select an external hard disk or USB flash drive to transfer the files and settings from the Computer
- Click This is my old computer, and then wait while Windows Easy Transfer scans the computer.
- Next, clear the check boxes next to any user accounts whose data you don’t want to transfer, and then click the “Next” button.
- Then, enter a password and re-enter the password to confirm it. However, Password is optional and you can also leave the boxes blank and then click “Save”.
- Browse and choose the external hard disk or any other storage device where you want to transfer the files and click Save.
- Windows Easy Transfer will begin transferring your files and settings to the external device. It is recommended to not use the computer during this process.
- When you see the message “These files and settings have been saved for your transfer“, click Next.
- Windows Easy Transfer displays the file name and location of the created file. Write down the file name and location so you can easily find it when youâre ready to restore the files after installing Windows 7. Click Next, and then click Close.
- Ensure that the file is saved to your external hard disk or storage device, and then disconnect the device from your computer.
That is all! You can restore the files and settings from external hard disk or any other external device, after installing Windows 7. You can also restore them to a PC running Windows XP or vista using Windows Easy Transfer. Thus you can use it as a software to backup files and settings from Windows XP or vista.
Before transferring the files and settings, ensure that the computer running XP or vista can be upgraded to Windows 7 using Windows 7 Upgrade Installation Advisor.
Related – Free download Windows 7 User Guide from Microsoft.