Wi-Fi Hotspots – Free finder and Network Manager
– This free tool is an absolute must for the frequent Wi-Fi Hotspot users. Though windows 7 does have a built-in utility to find Wi-Fi networks, it is a very basic utility and you may not be able to choose the right one with it.
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector provides you with amazing amount of information that makes it not only easy to pick the Wi-Fi Hotspot with the right speed and performance, but you will also be able to troubleshoot the connections! These are a few other useful applications of this free tool, as identified by its makers.
- Search for all available Wi-Fi networks
- Troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity issues, if any
- Verify the Wi-Fi networks’ signal strengths (coverage)
- Manage a computer’s Wi-Fi connection
- Locate Wi-Fi devices
- Detect rogue APs and verify AP settings
- Wi-Fi Education
Features of Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
You can get detailed information of all nearby Wi-Fi Hotspots in a radar like display. Here are the prominent features of Xirrus Wi-Fi Network Inspector.
- Dynamic radar view displaying local Wi-Fi network names and relative distance
- Detailed information of all the local Wi-Fi networks
- Display of computer’s Wi-Fi connection details and most important network addresses
- Connection, Quality, and Speed tests for troubleshooting the Wi-Fi network connection
- Real-time graph of signal strength of one or more Wi-Fi networks with 8 minute history
- Locate mode for tracking Wi-Fi network signal strength, including audible beep
- Directly Connect or Disconnect to Wi-Fi networks
- Enable or Disable Wi-Fi adapter in Windows 7 and Vista
- If you are new to Wi-Fi and/or its terminologies, this tool can also help you with an integrated glossary of Wi-Fi terms
From the above, it is clear that this is much more than a Wi-Fi Hotspot finder and a more complete Wi-Fi network manager.
You will need windows 7, vista or windows xp (sp2 or above) to use this software. You will also need a Wi-Fi adapter, either built-in or external. You will also need .NET framework 2.0 or higher. (Download .NET framework 4.0 here). To check if it is already installed, go to “Control Panel” => “Add/Remove Programs” and look for Microsoft .NET Framework.
If you want to run speed tests, make sure you have adobe flash player installed – Download Flash Player 10.