What is SEO for WordPress?
WordPress SEO is optimizing the content on Pages in your WordPress website, in a manner that is useful for visitors that click through from Search engines like Google and Bing to your Site. This primarily involves carrying out the following steps for which you can use Platinum SEO.
- Writing an unique, brief and appropriate Title tag for the page, on your WordPress Blog or Website, satisfying the user’s query intent. The title tag is an important HTML element that you can use to attract visitors to click through to your Site.
- Writing a unique meta description that is short enough to summarize the content on the Page and one that fits the search results snippet for the page. An ideal meta description is one that has a brief content matching what the user is searching for.
- Writing and structuring content in a manner that satisfies the user’s query. This involves researching on the content to write, writing them in a high quality manner and link them to each other using internal links, based on relevancy, such that it satisfies your target audience and their intent.
- Adding Schema markup for structured data to WordPress Posts or Pages to let search engines like Google better understand your content and display the Page on its Search engine Result Pages (SERPs) as rich snippets. These would in turn improve the Click through Rates (CTR) to your Site from SERPs.
- Adding an XML SiteMap that helps in making it easy to discover and crawl important Pages on your WordPress Website.
- Identifying and fixing 404 Errors by adding appropriate Redirections in WordPress to redirect users from one URL to another relevant URL. Sometimes, it may also be necessary to consolidate content on two or Pages and redirecting them to one single updated Page. This may involve a 301 HTTP Redirect from the source Page (or URL) to the destination.
- Adding other useful meta data that can be read by Search Engines and Social Engines to better manage how the content is indexed, shared and displayed. This may include the Open Graph tags, Twitter Card Markup tags and the Canonical tag. A canonical tag is not only useful to specify a self canonical but to specify cross canonicals, wherever appropriate.
Why should you do SEO in WordPress?
The primary objective of doing SEO in WordPress is to make the content useful for your visitors and satisfy the query intent for which they landed on your page from Search Engines. This in turn makes the search engines to send more and more relevant visitors to your Pages, as your Website content makes their users happy and satisfied.
The two basic objectives of Content Marketing are:
- Getting high quality relevant traffic to your Website
- Improving Conversions. Conversions could vary from purchasing the products you sell or downloading your Apps or could be something as simple as subscribing to your newsletters or your WordPress Blog feeds.
The second objective depends on the quality and quantity of traffic to your Site and this is precisely why content marketers using the WordPress platform should focus on Search engine Optimization in WordPress. Now that we know what is SEO in WordPress and why should you do it, let us now see how to do WordPress SEO.
How to do SEO in wordPress?
WordPress SEO is best done with a WordPress SEO plugin like Platinum SEO Pack. This makes it easy to do and manage SEO for Posts and Pages at scale. While you as a WordPress user can focus on writing the best content and adding the needed features, the plugin makes it easy to automate the SEO while giving you complete control to manually edit each one of them. Though Yoast SEO is widely used, this WordPress SEO plugin is the most light-weight for a WordPress Site. It is feature rich and includes some vital functionalities, that helps in technical SEO, like Redirections and 404 Error manager. These modules are only available in the paid version of Yoast SEO. You can even track Googlebot visits via the 404 manager. Thus you will know all the 404 errors that have been encountered by Googlebot on your WordPress site.
Techblissonline’s Platinum WordPress SEO Plugin offers Complete on-page SEO (Search Engine Optimization) solution to your WordPress blog or website. The latest version of Platinum SEO Plugin has been rewritten from scratch and is as easy to use as the earlier ones. It also has a number of new features you will love to use to do SEO in WordPress.
Like in any earlier versions, you can write WordPress SEO Titles that are different from the visible Header tags that you edit in the WordPress (WP) editor. These can be optimized to improve Click Through Rate (CTR) from Search Engine Result Pages (SERP). You can also write good Meta Descriptions for any Post or Page, including the Home page and Taxonomies.
How to add WordPress SEO and Social Meta Tags?
You may specify Robots Meta Tags that tell search engines like Google, Bing etc. to index posts and pages of your site, crawl through links found on them. For example, you may use NoIndex to exclude certain Pages or Posts from their index or use NoFollow to tell them not to follow links found therein.
It is also easy to add Meta Tags for social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn that automates the generation of shared content, when your visitors share the posts or pages of your website with their friends and followers on those platforms.
301 Redirects in WordPress with Platinum SEO Plugin
Posts and Pages can also be redirected to any other URL using HTTP status codes like 301, 302, 304 and 307. Thus 301 Redirects can be easily done for any individual post or page. These are redirects executed in PHP.
Self Canonical and Cross Domain Canonical with Platinum WordPress SEO
Canonical URLs are generally specified to let search engines know which URL to have in its index. This is especially useful when you have similar content on multiple URLs. By using a canonical, you are letting the Search Engines know which are the primary URLs for the purpose of indexing and ranking. By doing so, all link signals are consolidated with the canonical URL , thereby helping it to rank better in SERPs. By default, canonical links to the appropriate URL (Self canonical) are automatically added by the plugin. The plugin also makes it easy to specify Cross Domains Canonical Links for any post or Page.
Sitemap with Platinum WordPress SEO
The plugin does include a sitemap generation feature that uses the same codebase as is used in WordPress Core. Platinum SEO Pack modified the built in WordPress sitemap module to make it suitable for generating Image Sitemaps i.e. images are included along with corresponding Posts or Pages in the sitemap. The plugin will be fully integrated with the built-in WordPress sitemap API once it supports image sitemaps by default.
The plugin gives you complete control on your sitemap. Platinum SEO generates separate sitemaps for different Post types, Taxonomies and Author Archives. It makes it easy to include or exclude any of the Post or Page or Taxonomies from sitemaps generated by the Platinum SEO WordPress Sitemap Generator. By default, all Posts or Pages or Taxonomies that have a meta noindex tag on them, set via the plugin, are excluded from the sitemap. It also provides a WordPress hook for other XML Sitemap Generators to integrate with this ultimate SEO plugin in a similar manner.
Track and Fix 404 Errors with Platinum SEO WordPress plugin
It is now easy to manage a 404 Error by configuring Redirection in WordPress using the following HTTP Redirection Status Codes in Platinum SEO Plugin. You can even change 404 to 410 Status Code for any Page or URL that existed before but does not exist anymore. 410 HTTP Status Code tells Search Engines like Google, Bing and others that the Page or URL is permanently Dead or Gone from the Website.404 Error: What Page Not Found Means & How to Handle It?
What is Redirection and How to do it WordPress?
What are the various HTTP Redirect Status Codes that may be used to Redirect any page or URL?
Add Json Schema Markup for structured data with Platinum SEO WordPress Plugin
The most exciting feature of the simple and easy-to-use WordPress SEO Plugin is the ease with which you can generate Structured Data (Schema markups) using our Tool (Json Schema Generator) and include them in any post or page after combining the multiple Json Schema MarkUps.
WordPress SEO Content Analysis with Platinum SEO Plugin
Platinum SEO WordPress plugin does a basic but useful analysis of you content and how your focus keywords or search terms have been used therein. You can get the analysis for a max of 5 keywords or terms at any one time. But the results are generated on the fly, thereby making it easy to analyse your content for more Keywords or Terms.
Version 2.0.5 of Platinum SEO Pack had introduced content analysis. If you are an existing user of Version 2.0 or above of the plugin, make sure you clear your browser cache to experience the new tool and a new look and feel of Platinum SEO metabox for Posts, Pages and Taxonomies.
- Breadcrumb Trail
- Permalink Structure for Taxonomies
- Robots.txt Editor
- .htaccess Editor
- Google Analytics Tracking Code Editor
- SERP previews for both Desktop and Mobile with Metrics like pixel width of Title, Description etc.
- Optimization for Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Read our guides on how to do Facebook Optimization and Twitter Card Optimization with our WordPress SEO Plugin.
- Creating an XML Sitemap with options to include all important Posts and Pages and to exclude certain less important Posts or Pages or those that you do not want to be in a Search engine Index.
- Role Manager – Platinum WordPress SEO Plugin has a comprehensive Role Manager that lets administrators assign permissions/capabilities to various pre-defined and custom Roles, determining which Platinum SEO settings page or tab in the metabox can be accessed by which user. the role Manager is one of the best among all SEO plugins.
- Setup wizard – The SEO plugin also has one of the best setup wizards that directs new users to import their their settings and meta data from other plugins, if there are any, and to setup all the essential sitewide options in the WordPress Plugin.
WordPress SEO Plugin for Internal Links and Automated Audit
Platinum SEO premium helps in internal linking and in audit of links. It can also work along with other SEO plugins like Yoast SEO, RankMath, All in one SEO etc. All you have to do is to turn off the modules you don’t want to use in Platinum SEO. For example, if you want all the meta tags and schema to be added by your existing SEO plugin, you just have to turn on the “Disable Platinum SEO” button under Platinum SEO and social Pack -> SEO -> General settings as shown in the following image.
Find out why it is important to build internal links and carry out continual audit of links. Check out Platinum SEO Premium WordPress Plugin .
Conclusion – A Complete OnPage WordPress SEO Plugin
This free WordPress SEO Plugin not only gives you complete control on which structured data to include for any WP Post or Page, it is good enough for adding all the Meta Tags, any kind of Json Schema MarkUps to let the Search Engine Bots from Google, Bing etc. to efficiently crawl and index your website content. The social features of the plugin makes it easy for your users to share your content on social media platforms and they get automatically optimized for better CTR from those platforms.
You may also like to checkout our premium content analysis, audit and optimisation tools that let you write the best content for your users by not only analyzing your content but also studying competitors content. Just one month’s subscription to our SEO Tools is enough for you to download and use our WordPress SEO Premium Plugin for free! This gives you more tools for social media optimization and social sharing.
Download the latest version of Platinum SEO Pack from WordPress Plugin repository,
What is new in Platinum SEO?
2021-03-10 – Removed the meta tag added by the newly introduced robots api in WordPress Version 5.7. Added the ability to specify current year to title and description formats. You can also directly add the tag variables in the title field and the meta description field. While the title description formats allow you to add the tag variables only towards the beginning or end, you can now add the tag variables anywhere in between the meta title or description text. You can add the tag variable manually to these Platinum SEO meta fields in Post types.
To understand what has changed in the plugin’s development lifecycle, read Platinum SEO Pack – The #1 SEO Plugin for WordPress